Monday, February 23, 2004

I can tell it's gonna be a bad week. It is only Monday, not even lunchtime, and I am bored. The English teacher who I taught 2 classes with today is mad at me. At least I think she is. Perhaps I didn't say "house" properly. Who knows....

I have a feeling it is because the kids get so excited to see me. I will be walking down the hallway with her and at least 5 times, in a 1 to 2 minute time period, some kids will say "Nancy berry berry cuto" (translation: Nancy, you are very, very cute). And they won't say anything to her. Not even a hello. I can see why she would be upset. But she has no idea of how sick I am of hearing how cute or pretty or whatever I am. It's hard to be famous.

In class we really studied English. We played bullsh*t - the card game but the teacher called it "doubt". You know, the game where you go around in a circle and lay down cards from 1-K and say 2 threes. If someone thinks you are lying they say "bullsh*t". If you were lying, you take the pile. If you weren't, they take it. Easy game. Only we each only put down 1 card at a time and say the number from 1 to 13. It was such a lame game. These are 9th graders. I hope by now they can count to 13. They get taught in grade 3 or 4 and know it when they are in grade 6. However, there is a rule that when they get to grade 7 they must forget any English they have learned up to that point. I have grade 8 students who cannot say eleven. Anyways, we basically counted for 40 minutes. Sad.