Sunday, February 08, 2004

Listening to the Beatles's Blackbird. A good end to a good weekend.

I wish we didn't have to go to work tomorrow. It's too much fun, just hanging out with friends. On Friday we had Austin and Christine over for supper. We made Nancy's favourite curry, a vegetable masala. Totemo oishii. We stayed up until 3 a.m. eating, drinking and playing Scrabble.

Austin and Christine are American. Christine is from New York. This is her first year in Japan. She deferred medical school to come here, and has to leave for home in the summer. She's one of our best friends here, so it's going to be sad to see her leave. Austin is from down south somewhere. He's been here two, and is staying three. So we can hang out with him once in a while. Sweet.

Eight bells Saturday morning we had to leave for calligraphy in Kochi City. Nancy signed us up for a free course at the international centre. I wasn't exactly in the mood, but we had fun. We'll drop some in the mail for all y'all to have a peep. Just don't ask what they mean.

I taught a class this morning. The same twelve kids for three hours. It was fun, but draining. Six seven years old and the other six nine year olds. We sang some songs, played some games, had some fun. I kicked ass at shape tag! I've got some good strategies going. If I yell triangle, but point at square, I can usually break the group up and snag a few of the slower ones. And if I run through the middle of the group, it breaks them up so it's easier to catch a few. I love shape tag!!!

Tonight we had Rachel and her friend Simon over for a nabe. Nabe is this vegetable stew thing that's really easy and really filling. Simon lives in Beijing, and is only in Japan for a couple weeks. We had some interesting conversation, comparing the two. China sounds really crazy! He said he saw a bike accident where people just gathered and stared. No one said anything, and no one called the ambulance. His theory is that there are just so many people, it's easier to be insensitive. He said Japanese people think Chinese are really rude, and Chinese think Japanese are insincere. Makes sense.

Well, I'm sleepy and Nancy's finished playing the new djembe. She got it for me as a present and I love it! I can already play along to Blackbird.

Nighty nite.