Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Today we had a reading quiz for 50 minutes. About 40 students in grade 7 had to read 1 page in their textbook that they have been practicing for at least 3 weeks.

"Where's Japan? I can't see it. I can't see any borders. The earth looks like one peaceful planet. The earth is our mother and we are all her children."

Seems easy, right? Wrong. Some kids did really well but a few refused to try. Others waited until I felt so sorry for them that I read it and let them repeat after me (2 or 3 words at a time). Some couldn't read "I" or "and". The kids who could read were quietly whispering to their illiterate friend in the hot seat (i.e., cheating). I was really disappointed. I told them after they were finished. The whisperers, almost all of which were girls, looked really ashamed. Perhaps I'm not so cute afterall....