Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I love trees. Who wouldn't, right? They give us oxygen to breath. They provide shade. But mostly, they just look nice. There is this huge beautiful tree right beside my apartment. I really like it. In the fall I watched the leaves change to all sorts of colors. This winter I watched it's little colored leaves fall off a few at a time. In fact, up until two weeks ago, 2 leaves managed to hang on. Everytime I park my car or my bike I look at the tree and smile.

Well, actually there WAS this huge beautiful tree right beside my apartment. Someone, who I assume works for the town, came to my apartment while I was at work yesterday and pruned it up. Well, actually they massacred it. It used to have long branches. They cut them all off about 1 foot from the trunk. I am sure you can't even imagine how it looks. I can sum it up for you in a work. Hideous. I almost cried when I saw it. I am almost crying just thinking about it.

Why? What purpose did that serve? I guess, no need for trees when we have concrete. Why have any green when there is grey? Afterall, grey is much more attractive and less depressing than green, or any color for that matter.

This country is ugly and it just keeps getting uglier. I am glad I am only visiting.