Thursday, March 25, 2004

We leave tonight for Bali. First, it's a short train ride to Kochi City, then the overnight bus, then a six hour flight. We're going to be sleepy.

I can't wait for tomorrow, when I dig into my first dish of sweet and spicy fish and rice. Mmmm! I love south east asian food. I've never tried Indonesion or Balinese food, so I'm wondering if its different from Thai or Vietnamese food?

When we arrive its going to be about 31 degrees and humid. There are supposed to be scattered thunder showers for the duration of our trip. No problem, though, because we're going to be underwater most of the time.

The first thing we need to do is find a hotel. We're going to Kuta for that, which is Bali's most touristy place. Apparently there are a lot of shady characters there, but also cheap accomodation and travel agencies. It will be a good base for the first day or two, while we arrange our scuba diving.

I'm getting excited!

To prove it, here's the dialogue from Week 1, Book 5 of the JET Programme Japanese Language Course:

Department Manager: This ball-point pen is pretty easy to use, isn't it?
Alison: That's right. It's really easy to write with. The price is quite cheap, too.
Department Manger: Is that right? How much?
Alison: 50 yen.
Department Manger: Really? That's fairly cheap. I want one, too.
Alison: You can have one if you'd like.
Deparment Manager: Really? Thanks!
Alison: Bucho, there is something I want, too...
Department Manager: What is it? Tell me anything.
Alison: Well, I want a one-month vacation.
Department Manager: What!?

Unfortunately the dialogue - which, you'll notice, strikes the perfect balance between practical information and pure entertainment - leaves off there. We'll never know if Alison got her vacation. Probably there was a lot of bowing and "I'm sorry" before bucho finally said "No way, Jose. The best I can do is two days, starting Saturday."

But take pleasure in the the good fortunes of the department manager, who is, at this very moment, doing back flips over his new, easy-to-use ball point pen. I could really sense his excitement. For a moment, I thought he was finally going to open his heart to Alison, invite her over for dinner or something. A takoyaki party with the family, maybe a little sake.

She blew it though, by asking for that vacation. She should have been more diplomatic. Hinted that she was lonely and homesick, that she sure could use some time off to visit with friends and family. Doesn't she know anything yet? It's been seven months for goodness sake! She'll do better next time. We always learn from our mistakes, right?

Anyway, I'm going for lunch. After that, it's more mental preparation for the tail end of this 24 hour day. See you in Bali!