Friday, May 28, 2004

Yesterday I witnessed what was, without doubt, the worst drubbing in basketball history: Hayama, 146 - Yusuhara, 1. I couldn't believe it either. I walked into the gym at the start of the second half, when the score was 86-1. I asked why the score was so lopsided, and recieved an answer I couldn't understand. So I assumed it must have been a round robin score, where the points from the previous game carried over into the next. But I was watched the game, the truth began to unfold. Yusuhara didn't get the ball out of their zone the entire second half. Well, maybe twice they managed to bomb a hail mary out of bounds behind Hayama's net. Anyway, Hayama would hit a three, Yusuhara would throw the ball in bounds, Hayama would steal the ball and drain another three. This one kid - number 4, scored 17 points in a row. I bet Michael Jordan never did that. Sorry, this is getting to be more long winded than I intended, so I'll sign off by saying that the next time life gets you down, or when nothing seems to be going your way, think of the Yusuhara junior high school boys basketball team losing by 145 points to their Hayama counterparts, and smile.