Friday, June 11, 2004

today i went to a 2 hour speech that was disguised as a jazz concert. the "concert" was to start at 1:30 and end at 3:30. i thought it would be great, afterall i thought i was getting paid to listen to a jazz concert for 2 hours. let me say 1 thing....it was NOT great.

It was a form of torture as far as I’m concerned. As much as I like to think that I have learned some Japanese, situations like this lead me to think otherwise. In the two hours (well, actually 2.5 as he went overtime), he only played 5 songs that were definitely not jazz. They were an excellent imitation of bad Japanese karaoke. I am not even exaggerating.

Anyhow, the only words I understood when he was talking were Michael Moore’s Bowling for Columbine, Bush, friends, school, children, junior high school, Koizumi, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and like.

I know he was talking about war and peace but other than that, I'm lost. I wasn't the only one who was bored either. About 1/3 of 500 students and teachers were fast asleep. The principal and vice principal from my school were sleeping right beside me. Thus, I didn't feel bad trying to catch some zzz's. If it wouldn't have been for those uncomfortable chairs, I could have been paid to sleep.....