Thursday, July 08, 2004

I don't know if we told anyone this yet, but Nancy and I have retired from taiko drumming. It was fun while it lasted, but we were starting to get the feeling that we didn't belong. One of these things is not like the other, you know? Mainly they were all frumpy, grumpy middle-aged women, and we weren't.

So now we're in a new drumming group, with the cool dude from the coffee shop in Togano. Mind you, he's middle-aged as well, but he isn't frumpy (in fact, Nancy thinks he's hot) and he isn't grumpy and he goes to Indonesia every year to buy drums. The taiko ladies probably never did that.

Our new drumming group has singing, too. So we get to learn a little bit of the culture and speak Japanese. The one song goes "anta gata doko sa..." and the other one goes "shabondama tou unda..." They're nice folk songs about rabbits and soap bubbles and stuff.

Drumming also has cute Japanese boys (for Nancy to look at) and cute Japanese girls (for me to look at). Jokes, jokes, all jokes (^_^). I only like to look at Nancy.

What else, what else?

Well, it's hot and humid as shit (ew, wierd mental picture there, sorry). My hair is poofy and curly as shit (whoops, there I go again) and I'm sweating like crazy (lets end the shit jokes now, before things get out of hand). Which is to say its perfect beach weather. Nancy and I are going to head down to Irino tomorrow night, try to sleep a little in our furnace - oops, I mean Japanese tent - then get up early and catch some waves. When it gets too hot we'll have a nap in the shade, maybe read a book and cook some food, then back for more waves. After that is anybody's guess. Anybody?