Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I asked around and that was the biggest typhoon in 25 years. I don’t how many, if any, people died, but is there ever a lot of damage. Driving to work I saw three massive cedars, maybe 150 years old, snapped in half. The tin club house beside our house ended up in the driveway. The solar panels blew off my supervisor’s roof. Mastushita-sensei said the waves were crashing right over the concrete retaining wall, which makes them at least ten meters high.

I spent the morning helping out around one of my schools. Some windows were broken in the gym, and the floor was partially flooded. The roof collapsed in one spot and some sheet metal was torn off the side. Of course there were leaves and branches everywhere.

I’m glad I got to go home early yesterday. The road would have been super kowai. As for Nancy, her supervisor gave her this excellent advice as she was leaving at 5:15, when the typhoon was at its worst: “Be careful on your bike.”