Friday, August 20, 2004

"Kore wa English dake. Japanese nashi" (this is English only. without Japanese) some random guy wandering through my office remarked as he watched me write an email.

Ok. So he knew a total of 2 English words - English and Japanese. As a side note, all Japanese people know the word "Japanese". That way they can say "Japanese (insert word here)". It works for everything. Summer. School. Life. Culture. Carrot. Why was he so surprised to see me typing in English? I am sure he didn't expect me to be typing away in Japanese. Maybe he would have been really shocked then.

Actually, maybe I wowed him with my ability to use all of my fingers to type on the keyboard really fast. Typing in Japanese is definitely a slower process. You must first break the symbols into romaji. For example, やま would be typed as yama. (I realize that if you don't have the Japanese language thingy installed onto your computer then you can't see these symbols but just work with me and pretend like you can see them) Then, if it is actually supposed to be in kanji, you need to highlight the letters to change and then hit the space bar creating 山. Lastly, hit the enter key and you are finished typing mountain. It's complicated.

This weekend, Jon and I are going to meet some of the new people in our area. I am pretty excited. We are also going to meet up with a few of our friends from last year who we haven't seen in a month. Or, in Vineeth's case, 2 months. The plan is to meet at our house for a chat, some snacks and a drink or two before we head out on the town to hit the local bar/restaurant. Should be fun!