Tuesday, August 17, 2004

"Nancy-chan, here is your green tea. Be careful, it's very hot." Yamamoto-san warned as she delivered the afternoon coffee. In the morning and at lunch we get cold tea but at about 3:00 everyone prefers warm coffee. However, I always get tea because I don't drink coffee.

"Crack!" It had been pouring rain all day. Supposedly there was going to be a typhoon on Thursday. These were the warning signs. The rain and wind started today and would continue on until Saturday gathering force on Wednesday night and tapering off again on Friday. The thunder had started about 20 minutes ago. "Boom!"

"In Japan thunder is thought to be blab blab blab. Yadda yadda yadda." S-san rambled off in speed Japanese. I should have paid more attention. Whoops. From what I understood he said that thunder is the sound of the taiko drums being sticken by the horned people. Maybe that's correct. Maybe not. "How about in Canada?" Uh oh. My turn and yes or no will not suffice.

"I think it is supposed to be God speaking. Maybe." Or is it God being angry? I can't remember. Plus, I don't know how to say someone is feeling something like God feeling angry. I don't know how to say angry for that matter. O.K. God speaking it is. "Yah, it's God speaking."

"Countries are different, hey?" S-san chuckled.

"Yep." I smiled and went back to drinking my tea.