Friday, August 20, 2004

To follow up on Nancy's lazy-bones entry, here's an entry from a page called Kind Of Crap, put up by an ex-JET:

It has recently come to my attention that I may in fact not be the least productive member of my board of education, or at least not by much. Why do I say this? Because, as I type this, the old guy who works at the desk across from me is SLEEPING. Before that, he was reading the newspaper. For an HOUR. And when he eventually wakes up, he will probably read it for another hour. I guess I never had the time or the presence of mind to notice before but, having been in the office for about two weeks straight now, I've finally noticed that this is indeed about all he does. I can't believe I never realized this before. I've gotten used to just naturally assuming that I'm the least productive person in the immediate area, no matter where I go. I could walk into a graveyard and just to show me up there'd still be at least one really motivated corpse actively directing those worms on how to eat his body as efficiently as possible. But now, all of a sudden, I am met with this surprising new source of kinship, one that I find both validating, and threatening. On the one hand, this means I don't have to feel quite so bad when I choose to spend my work day filling my mouth with jam and then loudly playing the harmonica while everyone else is slaving away with real work. On the other, well, I just kind of assumed being the Office Slack-Off was MY predetermined role. This must be what it feels like when doves cry; but, painfully, there can only be one.

Now, whenever i look up from my desk at him, it feels like I'm staring at my own future. I try reading a Japanese novel in the office to appear industrious, and he reads Japanese novels in the office because...uh, well because he wants to, I guess. I use a computer so coworkers can at least imagine I'm doing work when they look at me and sigh; he uses a computer for what only I assume is work, until I glance the screen and see he is playing computerized game of Go. He does everything I do, except older.