Friday, September 03, 2004

An example of Japanese inefficiency....

Just before lunch the secretaries rush into the teacher's room in a huff and request help with carrying the school lunch. Everyday there are the same amount of dishes and containers that need to be carried to the staff room. And everyday, all 20 teachers who are in the staff room plus the 3 secretaries go to carry about 5 containers. Some of the containers require 2 people. In all, at most, 9 people are needed. This leaves 14 people with nothing to do except to provide moral support.

One time, I didn't go because I feel that it is unnecessary for all 20 teachers to help. I got some bad looks and sensed some animosity. Now, I always go. If nothing else, it is a nice 4 minute walk through the school.

On the plus side, I guess it is good teamwork.....