Thursday, October 28, 2004

"Do you have your passport on you?" Ysan asked with a smurk. He knew what the answer would be as he had asked me several times before.

"No. Of course not." I replied unimpressed.

Ysan- "You are breaking Japanese law, you know? All foreigners have to carry their passports at all times."

"No. I'm not breaking the law. I have my passport at my house. It is a bad idea to bring it everywhere. At my house it is safe."

Ysan- "Should I call the police?"

"Sure. Go ahead. I'm not breaking the law."

Ysan- "Are you sure? When I go to a foreign country, I carry my passport everywhere-with my traveller's cheques."

"That is a bad idea. It might get stolen-with your travellers cheques. If you keep it at the hotel in the safe (at the front desk) there is a less chance of losing it."

Ysan- "Well, you are supposed to carry your passport with you at all times. Especially in Japan."

"Even in the onsen (public bath)?"

"Well, I guess not in the onsen."

after researching on the internet......

"Ysan, you don't need to carry your passport on you. It says right here. You can either carry your passport or your alien registration card. I have my alien registration card."

Ysan- "Does it have a photo on it? Let me see."

"Here."

Ysan- "Did you get this in Canada?"

"No. In Canada I am not a foreigner. You are."

Ysan- "Oh, yeah." he replied not sounding convinced.