Monday, October 18, 2004

I just finished talking to a pilgrim. He's been walking around Shikoku for 6 months with plans to walk the rest of the year. It's going to be really cold in another month. I didn't notice him carrying a tent. He's finished the pilgrimmage five times already. He said he was walking so he could look inside himself. He said he was only a little bit Buddhist. I said I was only a little bit Christian and he laughed. He was bedding down at Oonogo station when I met him. He scolded me for teaching English and making money. I apologized by way of student loans. When he is finished walking, he plans to fly to Bangkok and then to India. He is going to meditate in India. He lived there for six years before returning to Japan. He is from Osaka originally. I forgot to ask what his job was before he became a pilgrim. He said India was fantastic, with a lot of people and that the cheapest way to get there from Japan was by getting to Bangkok first. What a great traveller! I want to go somewhere, right now! I don't know how he survives. Maybe he made heaps of money off the bubble, or maybe he dumpster dives. I gave him 500 yen when my train came in and he laughed again. He had really straight, white teeth.