Tuesday, October 05, 2004

There is a lot of talk about staying a third year. People are "80 percent going to stay", "still on the fence but with one leg headed home" or "getting the hell out of this place". Although no one has to sign their contract until February, everyone has been thinking about it since August.

Some days I love my job. Today I had two classes teaching sports and "Do you like ~ ?" to the grade three students. The kids were super genki and tried really hard. After class they followed me around the school asking all kinds of questions. Twenty-eight little kids running along and asking in the English I just taught them, "Do you like apples? Do you like Ichiro? Do you like poop?"

I don't even mind the bad days anymore. I realize now that the junior high school teachers who won't give me the time of day act that way because they don't speak or even understand English. I'm a threat the same way a NASA physicist would be a threat to the math teacher. In such a situation, I've found the best way to maintain a good working relationship is to play policeman and make sure the kids are sitting in their desks. No English necessary.

Outside of work there is the money and the food, both fantastic. My Japanese ability is snowballing and I love reading about the history and culture of the country. Nancy and I have started making friends through our drum group: we played a jam-style concert at an art gallery overlooking the ocean on Sunday. There is hiking, surfing, swimming in the river, onsen, warm weather all year round and a different batch of fresh fruit every season of the year.

Certainly I want to come home. I'm just not sure when. This year or next, it's going to be hard to leave.