Thursday, November 25, 2004

Doesn't make sense to me but to Japanese people apparently it does....

People are constantly saying to me, "you shouldn't be cold - you come from Canada and in Canada it is VERY cold". My reply is always "yes, but where I live it is not humid so it doesn't feel as cold. Plus, we have indoor heating. You can wear a t-shirt inside almost any building and be warm enough."

Yesterday an elementary school teacher told me that it is better to have no indoor heating in order to "train" the students.

me-"Train them for what?"

To train them against the cold. That way they can be healthy and have strong bodies. Japanese people have VERY strong bodies. It is better that way. People don't get sick.

me-"Where is N-sensei?"

He has a cold so he is absent.

my thoughts-"oh, of course. It makes perfect sense. We are all being trained. In order to do so, the no-heating situation remains the way it has been for all of eternity so that all day everyday people everywhere are freezing. All in the name of training."

I'm cold.