Wednesday, March 02, 2005

After a long break, I’ve started studying Japanese again. Lately, I’ve been studying Japanese onomatopoeia, which is used all the time in Japanese. When coffee drips into a pot, that’s potapota; when a heavy object rolls it goes gorogoro; to separate once and for all is to go kippari; when someone dies suddenly they go pokkuri; to answer with great ease makes a surasura sort of noise; and when someone goes senile they go yobuyobu. It’s great, because there are even rules as which sounds represent which type of emotion or action. For example, the short “u” represents aspect of human psychology while the soft “sh” represents a quiet or emotive state. So now I can invent my own words. Now, I go uguugu in the night and shurushuuru in the morning. Well, back to the books.